I'm late to the party. The vintage sheet party that is.
Like me, you've probably seen plenty of these beauties floating around blogland. Perfect for recycling, reusing and reinventing, these lovely old sheets have been made into many a pretty project. Although I've admired from afar for a long time, I've now felt the need to dabble myself.
I blame lovely Jessie, of the wonderful blog Messy Jesse and the oh so tempting shop, Sew & Quilt. She was kind enough to include a little pack of 5" squares of vintage sheets with the first five orders from her new shop and I was one of the lucky people who received a pack.
I've pondered on and off what I should make with these floral little patches, not be able to settle on quite the right thing. So when the idea of making a dolly blanket for Little Miss was in the offing, everything slotted into place.
I decided to add in some plain patches to help the aged sheeting go a little further and for some reason, rounded corners seemed to me to be a necessity, so I rounded them. If nothing else it gave me a good reason to use bias binding again.
I'm actually secretly quite pleased with my accuracy all round on this little project. My squares lined up beautifully, my quilting is nice and straight and the binding worked out well too. It looks like quite a professional job, even if I do say so myself!
I couldn't bear to waste any of my little offcuts, so I put them to good use adding a decorative element to the underside of the blanket. Little M can wrap dolly which ever way up she pleases now and the blanket will still look good.
Sweet dreams, Dolly...
As for me, I've been sold on vintage sheets. completely.Ever since I worked on this little blanket, my head has been whirring and new ideas are forming. The only thing is, I've used up all my squares. Don't worry though, I'm going to remedy that situation and then there will be no stopping me.