Pasting it Pretty


There are times when a bit of slap dash crafting is exactly what you want and making over these little Ikea drawers with paper and glue fits exactly into that category.

These particular drawers were firmly in the hands of my Little Miss though, as they were destined to house knick knacks in her room.  Although I was more than happy for her to be in charge of the project, there are times when a child's enthusiasm to get started can led them to rush into a mad session of hap-hazard gluing, painting, over sticking and re-painting.  Fun to be sure but it does give mixed results, aesthetically speaking.  As this was to be on display in her room, hopefully for a while to come, I felt compelled to 'stick my oar in' before she got started.

Luckily, now she is a little older, she is willing to chat over her ideas with me and a loose plan of action was formed.  All her own ideas I hasten to add, but by talking it over and telling me what she wanted to do and how it should look, she got it all straight in her own mind.  Which I thought would do much reduce the chance of the 'random paint colours added in at the last moment and everything turning in a big murky mess' factor!



I was happily in the role of 'Artist's Assistant', passing paint colours, cutting papers into squares and topping up the glue pot.  She enjoys these little creative things so much and it's so sweet to see her confidence in her own ideas growing and for her to be able to direct me, rather than the other way round.

We make quite the little team now and after a while she asked me to help stick some papers to the sides, due to sheer size of the thing and not only was it really fun to do but it was lovely to be sitting there, chatting and working away together side by side. 




 It's a very moreish craft, decoupage.  Sticking those paper squares on in a pleasingly random way was most relaxing.  I find myself looking around the place, looking for something else to attack with the glue pot!



S x




SUBSCRIBE TO POSTS:


Comments

  1. sehr, sehr schön!! :-)
    Liebe Grüße, Manja

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. I love decoupage too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and she did a wonderful job, cheerful and pretty and dainty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea, the drawers look lovely and will be very sweet for your daughters room. I admire your creative guidance and I think it's a good idea too, left to their own devices my children can take things too far and, like you say it all ends up in a murky mess. Planning and preparation are well worth it - a good job done, and a lovely memory made too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very pretty and practical too ~ great job :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely, no doubt she is thrilled with it. I know exactly what you mean about murky mess, we've had plenty of that here. It all starts out so promisingly, then descends into murk and mess. Well done for avoiding it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's absolutely gorgeous! Lovely, lovely result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very pretty! gives me some ideas of some decoupage crafts with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely little project! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little assistant and her wonderful concentration! You've done a great job together. What a cheery box of drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an awesome technique! I did wall art with it right here: http://bit.ly/1tqv0u3
    You made it look so pretty!

    xx Maja

    ReplyDelete
  12. They came out gorgeous - bright and sweet. I have trouble pulling the drawers using those little finger holes, so I put the drawers in backwards and, after papering, add a pretty little knob to pull. There are so many cute porcelain and crystal knobs around, it's hard to choose one. Miniature cotton reels make great drawer pulls for the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely little project.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks lovely, well done to your girl for her design. My daughter had a go at decoupage recently and really enjoyed it. I stayed well away, at 15 she most definitely does not want any help of any kind!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so pretty. And so nice nice that you had some precious Mum-Daughter time

    ReplyDelete
  16. How pretty, I remember doing something similar to the exact same drawer unit with my daughter many years ago...such fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the accessibility of decopatch paper for adults and children. Nice project. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful job she made of it ... cute and fun to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. She did an excellent job! It looks brilliant..... well done.

    ReplyDelete