Thwarted again!


It feels like a long time since I've written a 'regular' post.

In fact I feel like I've lost the knack of waffling away as I usually would do.   But I figure if I start it will come back to me, so here goes....

It's these socks that I wanted to tell you about.  I don't know if you saw my last podcast, but if you did you might remember these little beauties.  You might also remember how pleased I was about them too.  I was so excited about this pattern and so pleased that I'd actually managed to get them to come out looking ok.  Not perfect maybe, but not half bad.

I was merrily working through the pattern, when I came across a slight snag.  They don't fit!

Yes, that's going to present a problem isn't it?  They fit before the heel, they fit just after the heel.  The problem came once I'd worked about half way up the calf.  Once I'm that far I just can't get the narrower ankle/calf section over my heel to pull them on.  There just isn't enough give in them.

Well, truth be told, I did just about manage to force it over once, just to see if they would fit once they were on, which they did.  It just meant a 10 minute struggle, followed by another 10 minute struggle to get them off again.  Not helped by me giggling the whole way through the process.  Not especially practical.



Pattern: Elske by Merrian Holland
Pom Pom Magazine - Issue 12

So I'm at a bit of a loss really.  My fair isle knitting must be too tight.  Yet it looks good.  The strands are all neat and tidy and not pulled tight at the back.  In fact, if I make them any looser the stitches just elongate and distort which doesn't look good at all.

I suppose I just need to knit the next size up, but it seems as though they would be too baggy in the foot and ankle then as they fit perfectly now.  At least they would, If I could get them on.  I wonder if I have strange shaped feet?  Abnormally large heels?  Who knows.

All I know is, that once again my attempts at knitting fair isle style have been thwarted yet again.  It's enough to make a girl give up.  Such a shame as it looks so pretty that I know one day I'll be suckered into trying it again in the forlorn hope that something will have changed.

In the meantime though, it's fair to say that stranded knitting and socks are beyond me, so these will have to become a plain old stripy pair.  Not quite as glamorous or exciting but still really rather nice.

: :


Oh and just a little update....

I know some of you have been very patiently waiting for this blanket pattern to come out.
The good news is that I've just been testing out samples and going over the final pattern checks so it will be out very soon.  If all goes well, by the end of the month.

: :

There, I waffled away after all and here we are at the end!


S x




SUBSCRIBE:

   



Comments