Weekend Interruptions


There are times when you can see inspiring posts and let them go.  There are other times when you just can't.  This was one of those times.  A time where I had to interrupt my regular making schedule to slot in something else.

I'd been hit by a double whammy.  First, the gorgeous Olivia's Shawl by Annette of Rose My Valley which I've loved watching her make on her IG feed (@myrosevalley).  Then came these darling roses by Maaike of Crejjtion, on her IG feed (@Crejjtion).

Then take into account I'd been sent this lovely Luma yarn by The Fibre Co and that rolling stone is starting to gather rather a lot of speed isn't it?  Rather then try and stop it rolling, I decided to go with the flow and indulge in a quickie little weekend project.

I didn't have enough yarn in any one colour to make Annette's pretty shawl, and I wanted to keep things simple, so I just selected a stitch pattern and used that to whip up a smaller, slim-line, crescent shaped little number.

I started with the 'Pearl River' colour first, as that was my favourite and hooked away, making the pattern wider, until I'd used up one ball, then I started the next ball and working my way back down to a point again.  It did mean using a different colour for the border which, to be honest, I'm not wild about but I was worried about it being to short, so it was a case of needs must.




Now let's pause here in the shawl story for a moment to talk about this yarn.  There's a lovely mixture of natural fibres in there... wool, cotton, linen and silk too.  It's got a nice slight halo to it, is so very soft to the touch and has a lovely sort of worn and comfortable look and feel about it, like a pair comfy jeans.  I was quite taken with it I have to say, but I did hesitate for a moment as I started working with it.

Running it through my fingers, there was an unmistakable (if slight) rustic feel about it too.  I think it's the wool.  Soft and squishy as it is to the touch, I could feel a little bit of bite from that wool.  It's not really surprising, 50% of this yarn is made up of it but I hadn't even noticed that from my pre-crochet fondling.

 Now, I am super sensitive to wooly wool and it's potential itchiness and so unless you are a delicate little flower like me I'm not sure you'd bat so much as an eye lid at this tiny texture.  It is still one of the softest and squishy-ish wools I have ever touched, but I admit, it did make my itchy senses tingle a bit upon feeling that little something else in there.  Especially given I was making a shawl...




But let us get back to the tale in hand.  I had a shawl, and I wanted a flower.  Now, Maaike hasn't got a pattern out for her rose yet.  I believe she'll be adding it to her Apple Picking Shawl when it's ready, but until then patience was required.  Patience I didn't have of course, so I set about making up my own.  Not my best plan as it turns out, as mine isn't nearly as pretty or as shapely as her's are.  I will definitely be getting her pattern when it's ready, but until then my 'attempt' shall have to suffice.  

I decided to block my newly minted shawl, it was just a little to short to wrap nicely around the neck when coming off the hook and I was very much hoping that a nice warm bath would do wonders to soothe way that little remnant of wooly feel that I was getting.

Luckily I was right and it worked like a charm, on both counts.  The size is just perfect now and I have happily worn this right next to my skin too.  Seriously.  Wool.  On my skin!  I'm actually amazed, I didn't think that was possible.






So all in all it should have been a very successful weekend's work.  It did satisfy that creative urge.  It did satisfy that need for a quick project.  There's only one catch....

... I'm not sure I like it.  I mean it looks ok and all.  Really not too bad at all on the hanger, but when I put it on, I'm not sure it really works.  I think, on this occasion, maybe the crescent shape, as much as I love it, wasn't the way to go.  I think it needed more to make the pinned on flower thing work.  It looks a bit odd on this.

: :

After thoughts...

You know, reading through this post again now, it occurs to me that I also thought of making Maaike's Zomersjaal pattern when I was pondering this idea.  But again, I didn't have enough yarn for that as that's a triangle shape too, which is a real shame as it would have worked so much better.  

On top of that, looking at Maaike's pattern again now, so that I could link to it for you, I can see it actually uses a very similar (if not the same) stitch pattern that I've used here!  Arghhhh.... Obviously that had sat in my subconscious, directing my creative eye as I looked through potential stitch patterns. (Sorry Maaike, it wasn't deliberate, promise!)

So much for my weekend quickie, I really should have waited.
Got more yarn maybe, waited for the proper flower pattern to be ready.  (Sigh)
Her border is much better too...


S x



#CherryHeart

SUBSCRIBE:

     

Comments

  1. The pattern obviously came from your own head and you can use any stitch pattern you like, so no need to apologise to anyone, I don't think . Great minds just do think alike sometimes.

    I think your sense of aesthetics is always the very nicest, so to me you have the balance perfect. You don't need to buy a rose pattern as your own is just lovely- a bit less clunky and nicely formed, it sits perfectly on your shawlette (I love the smaller size as they wrap round the neck elegantly and I sometimes think wearing big shawls with the v in front makes them look like over-sized bibs, it depends though. I sometimes think bigger shawls look better worn the traditional way and contrarily look less old-fashioned that way, it does depend on the pattern though. Also the person I guess.)

    Once again your pattern seems to tap into a more delicate and elegant Japanese-y vibe which is as much to do with proportion and colour as anything else. Anyway, as per usual I think it is really beautiful. I love the different colour edging, and think that is a rather sophisticated look - French?!(I'm always seeing things that are either Japanese, French or Dutch that I love and can't access which is so annoying although charts are helpful sometimes).

    I like a different colour effect; I really loved the different neck and wrist colours that the inspired_professor (Caroline from Mind and Muse podcast) on Instagram used on her lovely crochet sweater. Running out of yarn can lead to good things it seems. I would love to see a pattern for this - this is the one I want to buy and make. So very pretty and wearable - indoors and outdoors at this time of year.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your message and yes, I guess you are right. I suppose if I'd come up with the idea totally independently I would feel better about it. It's just the fact that I know it was in my mind at some point and it's sort of 'seeped out' made me feel a little sheepish about it all!

      I do agree about the Japanese vibe though, I can really see that actually. Which is a comparison I'll take all day long. Love those Japanese pattern books. Humm, I love how the input I get here makes me look at things again in a new light. Thank you for that!

      S x

      Delete
  2. Your shawl is beautiful. Love the colours. I just got a parcel with yarn to make the olivia shawl by My Rose Valley, or may I say 4. Oops that's a lot, but the yarn wasn't that expensive. I just took the pattern out of the printer so I can start :-). Love your shawl.
    Have a nice week.

    Sweet greetings,
    Emily
    (casacreaemilia.blogspot.nl)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't blame you, it's gorgeous isn't it? Ha ha, have fun with it. :)

      Delete
  3. I like the contrast edge... here's hoping your weekend's work grows on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, I hope so too. I think it probably will actually. I just need a little adjustment about what I had in my mind and how it turned out, then I shall be quite content I'm sure.

      S x

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful shawl...you do such lovely work,Sandra and I love the colours...💕

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and creative and free flowing - great job. I know exactly how you feel when you can't quite get what you want and anything less just doesn't get it for you but I've also pursued getting what I "thought" I wanted (exact yarn and pattern) only to find it too had flaws..... we are creatures rarely satisfied.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is certainly true! And of course we tend to be highly critical of ourselves too don't we? It's always good to get that reminder!

      S x

      Delete
  6. I have absolutely not one designer gene in me :) so when I look at your shawl and Olivia's Shawl they look completely different. I love your color selection as well as size and shape. And I love that you've identified wool that I could actually wear since I'm also very sensitive to scratchy fabric. Once again, you've come up with a delightful combination. Your designs, blog and podcasts are a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is lovely Sandra! I think the crescent shape is great. Why don't you like it? The colors are great, the stitch is super, the drape look perfect, you love the yarn and the rose is super cute!!! What is not to love about this make, seriously? But, as you say... maybe it is when you wrap it around your neck... Maybe it just doesn't work for you. I bump into it all the time. My second Olivia shawl is awful. So beautiful but just awful. It just didn't work to use 4ply... the shape got all funny and it wraps around the neck all weirdly... I never wear it. It just looks good on pictures. Ha ha ha! Thanks for share love. Xxx

    ReplyDelete