Barbecue Living


Summer is here!

Finally, after taking it's own sweet time about it, summer seems to have hit the UK and it's hot, hot, hot!  At least it is where I am, how about you?  I think for the most part we are enjoying it though, I know that I am.  It's such a change from even a few weeks ago when it was still so decidedly chilly.

I've abandoned my thoughts of warmer projects and am hunting around for the cotton and lighter, floaty makes.  I always feel that the weather really affects my crafting urges, do you have the same thing?  

To make the most of the change to the climate I took the wise precaution of getting the paddling pool up while Little Miss was at school at the beginning of the week.  I was rewarded by a big hug and she's been running through the door each day this week, ready to leap straight in just as soon as she can!  I haven't quite gone that fair yet, I just dip my toes in to cool off every once in a while.

Although to be honest I've mostly been managing the heat of the day quite nicely by hiding in the cool and watching Wimbledon.  A perfectly valid summery pursuit if you ask me.



The other joy of good weather is the firing up of the barbecue.  Any meal produced on the outdoor grill seems to be a hit in this family and although I can't claim to be a remotely accomplished cook, the one thing I did master was my Mum's yummy barbecue marinade.

I think it was something she sort of conjured up on the spur of the moment one day but it seemed to stick and it was one of those essential recipes I took with me when I left home.  It's the kind of recipe that doesn't come with any measurements, just a list of ingredients, the balance of which is largely down to the hands (and tongue) of the maker.  I've attempted to pin down approximate quantities over the years though, so that I can hand over the responsibility of mixing this summery concoction over to others once in a while and I thought I might share it with you too.

At the moment, my budding chef likes to take charge of whipping this up so you'll be pleased to know that there's nothing very difficult or exotic about it.  But we love it and it seems to work well with all sorts of things.  We generally have it on chicken but it is fab on some nice beef flank steak or pork.  We also tried it on prawns last night and they were great too!





: :  MY MUM'S BARBECUE MARINADE : :

1.5 tbsp tomato puree
1.5 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic puree
0.5 tsp lime juice
0.5 tsp mustard powder (or smooth mustard)
0.5 tsp chilli powder
salt and pepper to taste

: :

Put everything in a bowl, give a mix.
Stick your finger in to taste, add a bit more of any of the above until you are happy with the taste.
Pop in the chicken/meat/prawns in and cover them well.
Leave to marinade for at least 20 mins, but the longer the better.

I find this amount covers 3/4 chicken breasts comfortably (which is all I normally need)

: :

I do hope you'll fancy giving it a go and do let me know how you get on if you do!


S x




SUBSCRIBE:

   



Comments