Happy Scrappy Squares Blanket



I seem to be on a big blanket kick here at the moment.  I have three of them on the go at the moment and if I had more time I think I might be plotting more.  It's a worrying trend...

But I'm here today to talk to you about my Scrappy Squares Sock Yarn Blanket.  I talked about it on my podcast number 8 here and a few you have requested a little more information about it, which is most kind.  As I said when I chatted about it, I'm joining the squares together as I go and quite a few of you were interested in how I was doing that.

Well, it just so happened that I'd been thinking that a tutorial on that would be a handy thing to add to Crochet Corner, my crochet tips site and this was just the incentive I needed to actually get that done at last!

I've always done photo tutorials up to now but I know a lot of people like to work from videos and that's another thing I've been meaning to have a go at, so you'll find not only a photo tutorial but also my first attempt at a video tutorial linked below.

The video probably needs a disclaimer though, I think it's fair to say that it's not the best.  It's probably too long for a start and I can see that it needs improvement, but hey - you've got to start somewhere. You'll be kind won't you?  Hopefully between the video and the photos some sense will emerge...

I was also asked how big I was making my squares.  The short answer is that mine are 25 stitches wide by 13 rows high.  Although I'm making some with more or less rows, depending on how much yarn I have.  The long answer is below as I've tried to write out the pattern for you, including the join as you go information.  Hopefully it'll make sense, although you might need to read/watch the tutorial first.

I do hope that you find it all useful and if you'd like to join me in make a Scrappy Squares Sock Yarn Blanket, that would be fabulous.  I'd love to see what you are doing and we can cheer each other on in those weak moments when we want to give up and throw in the towel!

: :



Photo Tutorial on Crochet Corner:  Join As You Go - Rows





Video Tutorial on You Tube:  Join As You Go Crochet - Working in Rows


: : SCRAPPY SQUARES PATTERN : :

My squares are 25 stitches across by 13 rows high.
I'm using sock yarn with a 3.00mm hook.

Written in UK Terms

- FIRST COLUMN -

Worked back and forth in rows, turn at the end of each row

First Square (First Column)

Make a chain of 27 then:

Row 1:  skip 3 [counts as tr], tr in 4th ch from hook, tr in each remaining ch. [25 sts]

Row 2: 3ch [counts as tr], 1 tr in each st to end. [25 sts]

Rows 3 -13: As Row 2.


Additional Squares (First Column)

Join new yarn where you left off.

Row 1: 3ch [counts as tr], 1 tr in each st to end.

Rows 2 -13: As Row 1.


- CONNECTED COLUMNS -

Added to the right hand side of an existing strip of squares
Worked back and forth in rows, turn as directed below

First Square (Connected Columns)

Join new yarn to base of the stitch at the bottom right corner of the existing square

Make a chain of 27 then:

Row 1:  skip 3 [counts as tr], tr in 4th ch from hook, tr in each remaining ch, ss into the top of the tr on the 1st row of the existing square to join. [25 sts]

Row 2: 1ch, ss into the top to the tr on the corresponding row of the existing square [counts as tr], turn work, tr in each of the remaining sts to end, turn. [25 sts]

Row 3:  3ch [counts as tr], tr in each of the next 23 sts, tr into joining ss from the row below, ss into the top of the tr on the corresponding row of the existing square to join.  [25 sts]
Repeat rows 2 and 3 another 5 times.


Additional Squares (Connected Columns)

>> Option One: When the square below ended on a right side row

With right side still facing, join yarn to the joining ss at the end of the row below.

Row 1: 1ch, ss into the top to the tr on the corresponding row of the existing square [counts as tr], turn work, tr in each of the remaining sts to end, turn. [25 sts]

Row 2:  3ch [counts as tr], tr in each of the next 23 sts, tr into joining ss from the row below, ss into the top of the tr on the corresponding row of the existing square to join.  [25 sts]

Repeat rows 1 and 2 another 6 times.
Repeat row 1 once more.


>> Option Two: When the square below ended with a wrong side row

Turn the work over and join yarn to last tr worked in the row below.

Row 1:  3ch [counts as tr], tr in each of the next 23 sts, tr into joining ss from the row below, ss into the top of the tr on the corresponding row of the existing square to join.  [25 sts]

Row 2: 1ch, ss into the top to the tr on the corresponding row of the existing square [counts as tr], turn work, tr in each of the remaining sts to end, turn. [25 sts]

Repeat rows 1 and 2 another 6 times.
Repeat row 1 once more.

: :


If you notice anything amiss, do let me know and I'll correct it...


S x




SUBSCRIBE:

   



Comments