Some more things...


I'd planned to write this post yesterday, but the internet went down in the morning and apparently in took a team of engineers to get us all in the area connected again.  (Thank you Engineers!)

You'd think a day of enforced 'offline' activities would be a joyous thing and maybe it would be if I had been ready for it.  But when you have work to do these days so much of it depends upon being online.  At least it does for me and I imagine most of us will be the same.

So I set about doing other things, but I was surprised at how often I went to pick up my phone even so.  Mostly to look something up quickly, be it on Ravelry, or Goggle, or some such.  Slightly scary tbh.  Obviously I could still use my phone's mobile data so I wasn't completely stranded but still, it was a chilling reminder of how dependant I've become.


Anyway, this is all completely beside the point, because now it's back I can continue our chat from the other day and I'll see what else my photo trawl dredged up...


Firstly the inspiration behind the 'Essence of Unicorn' blanket that I mentioned last time.  My niece set her heart on a crocheted unicorn and her heart, once set, is not one to be easily shifted.  Unlike me, she does not forget and would remind me frequently that I was supposed to be making her one.

Luckily I did have a magazine that had just such a pattern in and so, after another not so subtle nudge from my small friend, I set about hooking one up.  Amigurumi isn't really my favourite past time, hence my dithering on the task, but actually this little thing came together in no time.

The pattern I used was the In Your Dreams Unicorn by Ilaria Caliri, who does lovely things and it was nice and easy to make.  Although it took me at least as long to create the mane and tail full of separated strands of yarn as it did to make the creature itself!
(Don't use cotton yarn for the hair, that's my advice.)





I've finally got around to getting the pots planted up, which has really pleased me.
The place looks so much better for having the injection of extra flowers and colours.  Very lifting for the spirits, at least if the slugs don't eat them...

I came out two days after planting to find severe damage to some of the plants, which didn't please me.  I found some great organic slug repellant though.  It's safe for children and pets (which I was worried about) and it seems to be made with sheep fleece!  It comes in pellets and you add water which makes them all fatten up and the fibres spike out.  Thus I am putting off slugs, supporting the British sheep industry (according to the packet) and making the place smell like a farm yard all in one merry and slightly smelly go!

I was sitting playing with my Stylecraft yarn the other day too and pootling around with ideas, as you do.  I came up with a pretty flower motif that I liked but I was struck with how familiar it looked.  I made a few but I couldn't help the nagging feeling that I'd seen this motif before.  Then I released how close it was to the Maybelle Flower by my lovely friend Annette of My Rose Valley.  I started mine differently in the middle, as you can see, but sure enough, after that it is exactly the same.  That explains that nagging feeling.  Oh well, great mind thinks alike, that's all I can say.


Well it is time that I stopped this waffling and let you all go back to your lives.  I think I'm enjoying this new style (For me) of meandering blog post, perhaps this is the way forward for me now.  Possibly, possibly... what do you think?  Do you enjoy it?

I did just want to say too, thank you for all the comments on the last post.  Blogger's commenting system isn't working quite as it should at the moment apparently.  So I'm not getting emails of your comments and so can't reply to those of you with email addresses linked to your accounts as I normally would.  But I will be replying to you all in the comments section, so if you asked a question, it may well be worth checking back there as I have no other way to reach you!  (Same for this post too.)

That is it from me then and to end on a high, I shall leave you with a few random animal photos...


Her favourite ride!

When the dog is away...


Squirrel!





S x



#CherryHeart

SUBSCRIBE:

 

Comments

  1. I miss these sort of ramble-y blog posts that used to be the non it seems before Instagram. ♡ That's a hoot about the smelly slug repellent. At least it's not made with pig poo I guess. 😂 Ha! Oh, your flowers are so lovely though. Definitely worth protecting.
    💕Michelle🍓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, yes I guess it could have been worse! ;)

      S x

      Delete
  2. I love these meandering thoughts.... and I love your geraniums - they are one of my favorite flowers - especially the bright red ones - they scream welcome to who ever comes to your door. But I love all colors. I even love the leaves - they always look so healthy and vibrant.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, that's so good to hear! And yes, I love geraniums too, I always make sure I get some each year.

      S x

      Delete
  3. "When the dog is away..." That was my favourite...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same same but totally different. ;) Love the little petals in the center. You go girl! Lovely sunny weather and so nice to sit outside isn't it? I never want to go inside and leave my bench... but chores and family life demands me... I'm pleased with the moments I can squeeze in. Pure bliss.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny isn't it that we came up with such a similar thing? Yes I agree, outside is fab, I'm trying to make the most of it too.

      S x

      Delete
  5. So nice to see what you've been up to, Sandra! That pretty coaster pattern that you've been playing with comes from a very old vintage pattern, only found in schema form to start with. An American lady worked out the stitches and wrote them out for others. The original had a copyright attached to it. The pattern has been much copied, re-invented (Maybelle flowers) and made by many, many crochet lovers, including me!!
    I love your big blanket on the chair in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, so lovely to hear about the origins, thank you! It's amazing how there are so many things out there, that turn out to also be found in vintage magazines and pattern books. I guess there's nothing new under the sun as they say!

      S x

      Delete
  6. Hello again! I thought you might be interested to hear about the first person who deciphered this pretty coaster pattern from a vintage chart. Her name is Sandi Marshall and you can see many of her crochet items on Pinterest or Ravelry. Here is a link to the original coaster:
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-coasters-7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for finding the link and taking the time to post it! I wonder where the pattern originated from to be deciphered? It's probably a very old idea. Looking at it though, I see that that version is different again, with a whole extra round of crochet before the last round of shells. It's interesting to see so much variation even within such a simple design.

      I guess it's a case of being only so many ways to arrange such simple stitches in a circle motif... lots of people would no doubt play around and end up with designs that are the same, or almost the same and yet slightly different!

      S x

      Delete
    2. Yes, it would be nice to know where this pattern originated. I know that the one I mentioned above was dated from 1893! I rather like the original pattern with the extra row (four in all) which makes a slightly larger coaster. They also look very pretty when you change colours every row!

      Delete
  7. Morning! I LOVE this sort of here-and-now type of post, it's my favourite to read on other blogs and my favourite to write on my own blog. Keep on recording and sharing, it's a pleasure as always to absorb your beautiful photography and see what you're up to. Often i think we get sucked into thinking we need to create "content" for our blog posts, when actually a good old fashioned spontaneous chatter is far nicer! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que bonitas fotografías y que preciosos trabajos!!!!

    ReplyDelete