Home truths

You remember when I did a little review of that book, Crochet Boutique?  Well, the thing that caught my eye most at that moment was a pair of lovely, cozy looking leg warmers.

I thought I'd hook myself up a pair so I dashed out to snap up some suitable yarn and got straight down to it.  I expected it to be rather dull as the pattern was very straight forward, but actually it grew really quickly and it only took me a couple of nights to have one leg complete.

But, being a two legged sort of personage, I needed another and duly started away on warmer number two.  I'd only got half way through this one, when I found that I was at the end of my yarn.

While I was waiting for the new ball to arrive I started trying on my one warmer.  It fit very nicely and looked good, I thought.  Until I tried it with my boots that is.

I am many things, dear Reader, but thin calved is not something I have ever been able to claim.  I wrestled and I whinged but there was no way that the boot zipper was going to hold in my legs, my jeans and a great chuck of wooly warmer.  Humpf.

It seemed like it was time to face up the the unpleasant reality that I really can't just wear whatever I like in the leg region.  I may love the look of boot toppers and leg warmers on other people, but that doesn't mean they suit me.  I have the same problem with hats.  I love them, they do not love me.

Oh well, c'est le vie.

It turned out though, that if I only tucked about half of them into my boots, I could still get the 'boot topper' look and just about manage to crowbar the zipper closed.  So, I quickly whipped out  stitches until I was left with a shortened version and tried the boot test again.  Success!

I used the yarn I'd saved on warmer number one to complete warmer number two and before I knew it, there I was all ready with a ta-dah.  Ok, so they are not quite so snugly and warm in my boots as the full length one was and they are not quite so nice and long to wear on their ownsome, but I think I can just about get away with it.


Ha ha, fat calves, I think you'll find I won this time!

S x


Comments

  1. they are lovely and I think they are easier to fit with wellies!! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job.....I would be OK as I only have ankle boots...my calves are not high boot material at all! hope it saved you the second ball of yarn :o Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fabulous, love them!!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely cheery post Sandra and yes you got away with it because they look great!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look really good! I love your boots too! I've been planning to make some similar boot toppers for a while... it's on my list... I must get round to it soon!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sandra! Thank you for your post, you've really made me giggle. I love your shortened leg warmers and can totally relate to the calf issue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! I still need to make myself a pair

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I'm not the only one! My friend tells me to just buy "chubby girl" boots, but I just can't make myself. Consequently, I almost never find boots that fit my calves and when I do, I can certainly never tuck jeans into them...they have to be worn with tights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!,,, love them and your legs look pretty perfect to me

    ReplyDelete
  10. All's well, that ends well, right? They still look very cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ÇOK ZARİF DURMUŞLAR GÜLE GÜLE GİYİN ELLERİNİZE SAĞLIK SEVGİLER

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know that I necessarily have 'thicker' calves, but I do have a problem with socks/jeans and therefore most likely, warmers all fitting into my boots. Oh and...I look ridiculous in hats *sigh*
    PS...your shortened leg warmers look fabooey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable!!!! If misery loves company...I have always had similar issues with boots and socks! We are not alone! You definitely won this one...and they look great on you! Nice job of "winging it"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love them Sandra!! So cute with your boots!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whenever my boots are coming to the end of their natural lifespan I have nightmares about finding new ones.... that comfortably keep my calves warm without shutting down my entire blood circulation if I do manage to pull the zipper.
    And as a woman with no trousers in her wardrobe at all... I really do need boots higher than the ankle versions for wintertime.
    So I usually use my legwarmers inside the house only. And for outdoors I've trained my legs to be cold resistant. I only pull out the stockings when temperatures drop beneath 3°C. So by now outdoor legwarmers are only necessary for me when we get to -12°C or so. And that's not likely to happen here. Problem solved Himiko-style... :) But it still remains a pity...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sandra, I think they look great and 10/10 for finding solution to the problem. My calves are massive and I hats never suit me either, Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think they look fab...and there appears to be nothing wrong with your calves either! Love your boots x

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look great! I also have larger than average calves, I almost jumped around clarks when I actually managed to buy a pair of normal knee high boots there a few weeks ago:)

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha I think you porbably have perfect legs, it is the boots that are not made properly :-) I like the shortend version of boot toppers, very well done!
    Hugs
    Cheryl
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your not alone Sweetie! the things we do hay. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look gorgeous! Great for under Welles too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had to smile while reading your post. I understand because I have the same problem with knee-high boots. But they look really cute. I have seen many making just a cuff for the boots (pretending to be socks, but they are not). That could be an option, though it is not clearly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the leg warmers.! And I love following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the boots too - where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, Hope you don't mind me replying here but I couldn't see any other way of getting back to you. The boots were from Next I believe, but some years ago I'm afraid!

      S x

      Delete