A Polar Hug

It's a lovely thing, and quite unusual for me, to buy yarn and get stuck into it right away.

I often see yarn I like and buy it, knowing it'll be good for something, eventually.  Or I buy yarn because I have a plan to use it for some future project, which may or may not materialise.  What I don't often do, is buy yarn, take it home, makes plans for it and then just do it.  It makes a very pleasant change I can tell you.

 I've had my eye on this shawl for a while and with my recently acquired sale bargins just begging to be used, it's moment had decidedly arrived.

It wasn't really that cold when I started making this very pure, plain and polar white shawl, but I knew that the mild weather couldn't possibly last.  How right I was.  When the snow started coming down I dashed out to snap some shots.  You can see the snowflakes falling in the one above.  It seemed like the perfect background for an absolutely simple almost white shawl.

 I enjoyed working on that shawl very much.  The yarn is a delight to work with, soft as soft, glides over the hook with the greatest of ease and not a single knot or other disturbance in any of the balls I used.  Maybe making it worth it's original high price?  Definitely worth every penny of the half-price I paid though.

I enjoyed working on it so much, that 7 balls later, at the end of the shawl, I hadn't had enough.  I decided a matching pair of wrist warmers was in order.  (Yes, I know, another pair!)

 The inspiration for these warmers came not from me but directly from another.  The darling Coco Rose in fact.  She posted this picture on Instagram and I was in love.  What a perfect companion they would make I thought.  Strangely,  despite apparently being for DK yarn, this worked up in my aran weight beautifully and I didn't need any size modifications at all.

I fear though, you'll all probably be champing at the bit for more details?
'Yes, this is fine but what yarn?  Which patterns do you speak of?'
You require the full in's and out's and of course, you shall have them...

 
Polar Shawl
Yarn: Amy Butler Belle Organic Aran
Pattern: Crescent Shawl (a)
Unfortunately the pattern book is now out of print,
but I have just discovered this written version of the pattern: Mezzaluna
More Information:  On my Ravelry Project Page




Polar Warmers
Yarn: Amy Butler Belle Organic Aran
Pattern: Crochet Shell Wrist Warmers
Modifications inspired by: Coco Rose's 'Snow Queen' Wrist Warmers
More information:  On my Ravelry Project Page

I'm very very happy with my clean and pure set of snuggly garments to keep me toasty in these chill days.  They are like a big hug from a friendly polar bear!

S x


Comments

  1. Oh my goodness these are so beautiful, love the look of that yarn too
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra, I've nominated you for an Inspirational Craft Blogger award, you can find out more about it here http://knitstitchsew.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/insiprational-craft-blogger/
    Happy new year!
    Verity x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traumhaft schön!!
    Liebe Rosaliegrüße

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful shawl and those mitts are to die for! Hope they're keeping you nice and warm in this nippy weather x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fringing on the shawl....Ive lost count of the number of wrist warmers I now have....your latest ones are particularly pretty, ali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely Sandra and photographs taken in the right setting...IMO it brings to mind Victorian with a twist of Elvish fashion....sorry but that's what my thoughts tell me. :-) The yarn is just right for it too.The wrist warmers highlight it all.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sandra, first time visiting your blog and I love it. This set is very lovely and I like the white a lot, it emphasizes the pattern very nicely,good choice! Cheers, Monika.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shawl! Perfect for the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the shawl on your rav page and loved it! and of course your photos are lovely with the snow. I am just a little too chicken to take on a Japanese pattern, maybe it should be a new years res!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This set is gorgeous. Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so lovely! So very pretty. I too stash away yarn for the future.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful, especially the shawl. The yarn looks very soft & snuggly! Gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! *bows to Sandra* You certainly are cracking out the beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so gorgeous. I love the shawl and the wrist warmers so much. Are they for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth a try hehehe. This is so lovely.

      Delete
  15. Very beautiful! I never think to work with just white, but I love how that looks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful!!I've just passed you an award :http://homemadeatmyplace.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-big-thank-you-to-2-girls.html
    xxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning, both shawl and wristwarmers! So perfectly wintery :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the yarn you choose and the wristwarmers are absolutely gorgious!
    Inez, ineseda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really pretty, and they work so well together. Perfect for keeping you warm in the snow

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just had to take. A moment and let you know you did a fabulous job! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am LOVIN' your stuff Girl!!!
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! And so cosy looking!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely gorgeous Sandra, you are so very talented and make such great choices. I would love to have a go at them both, but having trouble getting the pattern for the shawl. Is the pattern still for sale? If so, I would really appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction (for pattern in English please!). Thanks and regards. Tania.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely gorgeous Sandra. You make such lovely choices with your projects and are so talented. I would love to make them, but am having trouble getting the shawl pattern in English. Would you please be so kind as to point me in the right direction if this pattern is still for sale, I would really appreciate it? Thanks and regards. Tania.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So gorgeous Sandra!! Looks so beautiful on you! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  26. How lovely! I would like one of those too! X

    ReplyDelete
  27. Me gustó mucho ! Que tengas un maravilloso Año 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Prachtig!Fijne dag,Tineke
    bollies53.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. beautiful beautiful set, so stylish, so pretty. And I like that you can war it indoors too! Enjoy

    xx

    ReplyDelete