Reminiscent Blanket


I'm late to the party.  The vintage sheet party that is.

Like me, you've probably seen plenty of these beauties floating around blogland.  Perfect for recycling, reusing and reinventing, these lovely old sheets have been made into many a pretty project.  Although I've admired from afar for a long time, I've now felt the need to dabble myself.

Until now.


I blame lovely Jessie, of the wonderful blog  Messy Jesse and the oh so tempting shop,  Sew & Quilt.  She was kind enough to include a little pack of 5" squares of vintage sheets with the first five orders from her new shop and I was one of the lucky people who received a pack.  

I've pondered on and off what I should make with these floral little patches, not be able to settle on quite the right thing.  So when the idea of making a dolly blanket for Little Miss was in the offing, everything slotted into place.

I decided to add in some plain patches to help the aged sheeting go a little further and for some reason, rounded corners seemed to me to be a necessity, so I rounded them.  If nothing else it gave me a good reason to use bias binding again.

I'm actually secretly quite pleased with my accuracy all round on this little project.  My squares lined up beautifully, my quilting is nice and straight and the binding worked out well too.  It looks like quite a professional job, even if I do say so myself!




I couldn't bear to waste any of my little offcuts, so I put them to good use adding a decorative element to the underside of the blanket.  Little M can wrap dolly which ever way up she pleases now and the blanket will still look good.


Sweet dreams, Dolly...



As for me, I've been sold on vintage sheets.  completely.
Ever since I worked on this little blanket, my head has been whirring and new ideas are forming.  The only thing is, I've used up all my squares.  Don't worry though, I'm going to remedy that situation and then there will be no stopping me.

S x







Comments

  1. It's beautiful Sandra :) I can't wait to see what else you have planned.

    I'm itching to get my studio finally sorted because I'll have some where to set up my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dolly quilt!!!!! Vintage fabrics are so sweet and wonderful to work with...have a pile I haven't dared to cut into just YET..lol
    Kviltstina at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a pretty quilt and you did do very fine work on it! I always feel so proud of myself when points match, etc:)
    Funny thing, I remember those kind of sheets being used as sheets. Makes me feel old!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous little blanket - I particularly love the little heart detail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I remember my mom having those sheets when I was little :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really sweet,I love the little heart. I wish my girls were still into dollies blankets that is really the only way I would use vintage fabrics as they won't need too much washing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE IT SPECIALLY THAT HEART HAPPY TUESDAY WITH LOVE JANICE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet little quilt! I love your Vintage fabric choices and that heart is too cute!! :) xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. :)
    I used to sleep on sheets just like the apricot coloured patch on your little blanket during my teenage years. I often wonder what happened to all those sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful quilts
    love maria
    mscreations27.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Очень красивое, милое и уютное одеяльце!!! Мне очень понравилось :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you got to work quick!! You've made such a beautiful job of the dolly quilt, so pretty :) and thanks so much for the mention xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute indeed ! I might try my first quilt as one for my daughters dolls too.
    I'm developing an addiction to vintage fabrics too, can't walk past a charity shop without a rummage and I've been rewarded with treasure a few times! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute, love your idea for the off cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, so pretty!! Love that cute heart!!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous quilt, very professional looking. I've never tried quilting it looks too difficult to me. Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ohhhhh, it is so beautiful! Well done :D What scrumptious colours too, i'm in love! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous wee quilt, I bet your daughter loves it!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've got my very own vintage sheet that I snapped up when I saw it for sale. My first one! Love the little quilt. Very nice. Cute little heart detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon, so glad you like it! I don't blame you for snapping up the sheet, I've found one that way and grabbed quick too!

      Sandra x

      Delete
  21. adorable! I love the scrappy little heart on the back!

    I have a lovely collection of vintage sheets that I need to make into a quilt for Me! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  22. The little quilt is gorgeous and sewn so beautifully.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this idea. I haven't sewn with vintage sheets but I love to sleep with vintage pillowcases. The fabric is so soft yet sturdy at the same time, and it just feels better on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - wonderful quilt and so well matched. The heart shape if lovely and I particularly like the quilting stiches. The muffins!!! Only need to say I'm trying the recipe this weekend ... what fruit to choose?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your little quilt is just beautiful and the colours are gorgeous.
    M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh yes, please no stopping you! Love love love this, and the bias binding finishes it off so nicely. The heart at the back... sigh. Lucky girl and doll!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is one lucky Dolly! :D
    Your sewing is gorgeous!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am in the middle of sewing a single bed quilt for my daughter using my collected vintage sheets. I was thinking of quilting it on the diagonal, yours looks lovley and I think I might quilt it that way for a change. So sweet xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. How cute! what a sweet dolly blanket, and I love your applique heart x

    ReplyDelete
  30. really gorgeous, love the heart! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stunning!! What a lucky little dolly. All your details are just beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  32. How pretty. I really wish I could sew. x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was just gonna say... What a work of perfection. It makes my wobbly seams look very... wobbly. Those points are so on point, I just can't understand how you managed to make them so perfect. I try so hard to match my points but there is always some that comes off.
    And vintage sheets... Love love love. I can give you some inside info on where to find some really yummy fabrics...
    Happy Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your mini quilt is gorgeous, I love the vintage look of it and you have finished it perfectly! Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely quilt and I like the stitching pattern you chose. Dolly is very lucky :)
    Alex

    ReplyDelete