Colour Collaborative: November



 
 Decay

What I find so very interesting about writing these Colour Collaborative posts is the thought process behind it all.  Each month, as you've seen, has a theme and pretty much every month the theme word immediately conjures up some sort of image or idea for me.  But, as I mull over the word my first thoughts are often turned on their head by the thoughts and ideas that follow.

In this case, it was the camera that changed my mind about decay.

I had thought that decay was about things coming to an end, about deterioration and dying.  Certainly it is about the corruption of living things, about the disintegration and breaking down of things.  But, in nature at least, decay is brought about by living organisms.  Teeny tiny ones perhaps, but living ones all the same.  So, where there is decay, there is also a great deal of action and life going on.

When I got behind the lens looking for decay I found more life and vibrancy than I expected.  The ramshackle and crumbling old wall might have seen better days, but it's supporting a fantastic growth of moss, lichen, algae and I know not what other kinds of green signs of life.  Then there's the decaying flowers that look all blackened and dead, yet they contain ripening seeds that will come bursting forth with life next Spring.


Prettiest of all, surrounding us at this time of year is the most beautiful kind of decay.  As the green chlorophyll contained in leaves breaks down, it allows all the other glorious pigments shine through.  The gorgeous ambers, golds, sunshine yellows and fiery reds that we love to see.

So I suppose all that decay really means is a returning to earth and so this months palettes are on the earthier side.  There are blacks and greys, many shades of brown and more muted tones, but there can be vibrancy too.  Even in decay, there is colour and plenty of it.







: :


Don't forget to visit the other Colour Collaborative blogs for more of this month's posts, 
including three from November's guest bloggers, just click on the links below ...

Annie at Knitsofacto
Nina at Tabiboo
Gillian at Tales from a Happy House
Alex at Lola Nova
Lori at Lori Times Five
Madelief at Madelief

  What is The Colour Collaborative? 
All creative bloggers make stuff, gather stuff, shape stuff, and share stuff. Mostly they work on their own, but what happens when a group of them work together? Is a creative collaboration greater than the sum of its parts? We think so and we hope you will too. We'll each be offering our own monthly take on a colour related theme, and hoping that in combination our ideas will encourage us, and perhaps you, to think about colour in new ways.


S x





My posts, delivered to you...

      RSS      Feedly      Bloglovin'      Email




Comments

  1. Gosh - I love the colours in your post..so plummy and warm. I struggled with the word 'decay' but you are so right, it can be such a beautiful thing too.


    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those earthy shades...great post!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thought-provoking post - and your colours are rich and warm considering which subject you're writing about. Nice work.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colours and such a sweet and reminiscent feeling I get from reading your post today!


    - J, cozyontheprairies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. such lovely colors in your photos, they really are so warm and inviting, but then i do really love nature this time of year. i love what you've said about decay actually being about life too. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the way you breakdown the colours in each image - it helps me see and take notice of them more. These are gorgeous - they would make an excellent basis for a colour scheme for a room, say, as they are so harmonious. I thought this month was going to be a challenge but do you know, I think it's my favourite so far! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful colors and photos. I love the post and your thoughts as well. There is already renewal in the decay. A richness and a promise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandra,


    Just popping over to say hello! I think it's the first time I visit your blog. It's beautiful! I like the way you captured faded. You are right about faded. At first I thought it was about decay as well, but it isn't. Like you show us in your photographs, nature has lots of faded colours too!


    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you show colours in these collaborative, when faced with decay I would have struggled to see it the way you have. I just love these earthy tones, and your narrative is just perfect, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandra, I did an audible 'mmmmm' when I saw those first colours and that first picture. I'm really enjoying the colour collaborative and the differing perspectives on a theme. Now going to check out all the other blogs......
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how all the post this month is so so different and it just shows how we all look at life through a different lens. Isn't that wonderful!! A really lovely post with beautiful photos. xoxo

    ReplyDelete