Monthly Musings - January


I was thinking recently about this whole blog posting lark.  I was in somewhat retrospective mode, as is sometimes the case at the end of the year, and I decided that although I don't really often get the urge to blog anymore, I do really love the record of daily life that I used to keep here.  Just those mundane, everyday moments that tick by.  Totally insignificant and yet so important.

As usual, no grand revelations here, I'm not saying anything remotely new.  But I guess I've just remembered why I started this blog, and what I enjoy about it.  It's about recording my very ordinary days and shoving a picture or two on here, so that once in a while, I can look back on it and remember and re-discover those moments.



If I'm honest, I can't see myself blogging any more frequently than I have been lately.  I know I can't keep up podcasting and blogging at the same rate, it just doesn't work for me.  I find that in those idle moments when I 'talk' to you, I used to image talking here on the blog, now I'm mostly talking to the podcast.  It's just happened that way naturally over time and it feels like the 'conversation' is there now.  I suppose as the social media world has grown, the comments, the interaction which used to be here, is now mainly elsewhere.  (Not at all helped by Blogger's commenting system being an absolutely nightmare lately btw.  I know it's not just me thats struggled with it!)  But so it goes, things change and move on, that's ok.  C'est le vie!

But I still really enjoy having this place and I want to keep saving moments here, something for my future self to enjoy!  So I want to try and keep a little monthly diary.  A snap shot of my daily life for each month.  This month it's been a bit of a struggle to even remember to take pictures, to capture such moments, but hopefully, with time I'll get back to doing it again.  That's my plan and hope at least.

: :





J A N U A R Y

I'd intended this month to be a smooth and relaxed start to the year.  Taking it a bit easy and not doing too much, learning to cope with my new 'reduced time' routine.  But as it turned out, the new routine has been put off for a month or two at least and there seemed to be so much 'stuff' that's needed to been done.  Not only have I fallen straight back into my normal routine and I've also worked absolutely loads!  Maybe next month will be different?

It's not been a cold winter at all (so far), we've barely see much frost even.  I've been pretty much waiting for a cold snap to hit and for 'real winter' to begin but nothing yet.  Maybe it'll just be one of those very mild years.  Strangely, as I wouldn't describe myself as a winter lover, I'm finding I feel a little cheated out of something.  Just the very obvious excuse to sat inside, light candles for their warm glow and do nothing but slurp warming hot chocolate under snuggly blankets I suppose.  I mean, I'm doing those things a little bit anyway, but somehow it's not quite the same.  Perhaps a colder winter would make me feel more justified in such treats and self cosseting!

I've only made a slow start to my 'do more sewing this year' intention.  In my defence, most due to the aforementioned busy-ness, but some progress has been made.  I finally finished my lap top bag this month which I'm pretty pleased with and I've made a start on re-vamping the living room curtains too.  Better than nothing and hopefully now my 'quieter month' will materialise and next time I'll come full of tales of my many sewing achievements in February.

Time will tell...









The dog walking field, before the path clearing and fencing work started!


S x



#CherryHeart

SUBSCRIBE:

 


I love your comments!  But unless you see the message ' Your comment will be visible after approval' I won't receive it.
If you are having trouble, you can leave your comment here instead.

Comments

  1. I feel exactly the same about the mild winter we are having. I don't think we appreciate how important the clear definition between the seasons is to our health and wellbeing. I love your current project, delicate white blanket, and feel the urge to truly embrace what makes ME happy after splitting from my partner last year (my choice). I have met someone new but struggling to understand how they fit in my life. Your pictures evoke thoughts of calm and tranquility and when I am feeling a little overwhelmed yours is one of the blogs I turn to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine it's a big change to find space and a new dynamic for another person, even if it's a welcome one! I agree too, that blogs definitely seem to cultivate a calmer and quieter atmosphere. Just because taking the time to read is a slower and more soothing process than the constant scroll. Big upside!

      Delete
  2. There seems to be a general downturn in people blogging. I've never got on board with the vlogging movement as I don't enjoy watching video. By the way - a podcast is audio only, I'm pretty sure it's vlogs that you make - on Youtube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been dwindling for a while hasn't it. Although I do hear people are still starting blogs, so maybe there is hope yet. I don't know about the podcasting being audio only, that's not how the term is being used anyway. Everyone just calls videos like mine (in episode format) a podcast! They use the term 'vlogging' for more shorter, casual daily snippets that are recorded on the hoof wherever you are. 🤷‍♀️

      Delete
  3. We have been having a milder Winter than normal where I live in Ohio. Although we did have one morning where the temperature was 3 degrees! We have hardly had any snow. Just a dusting here and there. I have to admit that I miss 'real' Winter, too. There is something about the "hush" of when it's snowing. It's a quietness hard to explain.

    I truly enjoy your blog and photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a bit weird isn't it! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. I love the blog posts. I forces one to sit down and actually read ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love seeing what you are up to. Your photos of yarn and fabric always make me swoon. Your colors are just beautiful. And everything you create is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra,

    I love reading your blogposts and always try to comment. I feel such a joy when someone comments on my own blog so it's a joy I really want to give to others as well. I totally relate to your sayings abouth this winter. While I'm writing this it's pooring down with rain and I'm so done with it. Wish it would just get colder and sunnier. But hey, you can't have everything. Have a lovely Sunday Sandra.

    Sweet greetings,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, and I know you do ! And it's so appreciated, I know it's not easy to find the time, I know I struggle! (I don't want to make any one reading this to feel guilty if they don't have the time btw, I completely get it.)

      Thanks lovely Emily!

      Delete
  7. I love reading blogs though I dont always leave a comment. Nowadays, I post photos to my blog from my mobile and save it in the draft to finish it later, or sometimes, simply post it and edit it later on my laptop. Because sometimes, ideas to write pop up when I am out and about :). Love the idea of monthly journal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to keep up with isn't it? Tbh I don't always remember to even ead them now as I've fallen out of the habit a bit. Terrible!

      That's a good idea with the mobile posting. I did try that for a while. There was a Blogger app at one point but is was awful. I think they might have even got rid of it!

      Delete
  8. The comments are working it would seem. Great! I know exactly what you mean when you say that blogs and blogging has changed so much in recent years. I too have reduced the number of blog entries I do. I find that twice a month is good right now.
    I can see hundreds of people visiting, but only a tiny handful take the time to leave a comment. When I visit a blog, I like to leave a comment because I know how much pleasure it gives and how encouraging it is!

    I liked seeing all your work in progress, including quilting!
    Wishing you a lovely, and productive, month of February

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when all my 'old' favs do a blog post and you're definitely in that awesome category. I think people are fixated on the instant gratification that other social media platforms provide. Me? I don't mind waiting on the good things to come my way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely how I feel about my blog too! I've all but abandoned it due to many changes in my life but have to admit I do miss writing "my diary". And I'm loathe to forget it completely as there are so many memories there. So I'll keep on intending to write it and sometimes I might even get round to doing just that. A monthly update can't be that difficult...... can it!?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We haven't had much of a winter either! It's been quite mild. We even had pretty scary weather and a few tornadoes touched down last Thursday and then on Saturday we saw a few snow flurries. What a weird week. I love posts like this that are simply a record of daily life with some crafting thrown in there. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete