Rainbows and a Silver Lining



How are you keeping, Dear Readers?  Very well I hope.

I finally caught up with the rest of the UK and probably the world, when I realised that people are making rainbow pictures to put in their windows.  Like many makers out there, naturally my first thought was why draw one, when I can make one?

So in the last day or two, I decided I'd dive into my cotton scraps and see what I could rustle up.  I've got a heap of the Stylecraft Naturals yarn next to me from the other projects I've been working on lately, which was just begging to be used and I dug out some old Cascade Pima Cotton to supplement my rainbow colours a little.


I wanted to make a rainbow, obviously because that what this hopeful sign is all about, but I wanted to add something else to it as well.  As a rather pessimistic soul at heart (although I would call it realism),  I've always been quite adept at spotting the flaws in any given situation, but it's also been my practise for quite a while now to make sure that I always look for a silver lining in it too.

It's become rather a mantra of mine that there will be a positive (and often many positives) to cling too.  So for my rainbow hanging I wanted to show that aspect too by including a cloud with a beautiful shining silver lining and a happy sunshine peeking out to show that the clouds may come into the sky, but that they do also pass by.



I know there are plenty of rainbow patterns to be found online and so I won't be offering anything revolutionary or new here, but after posting a few of my crocheted pieces on Instagram, I did have some requests for the patterns for them.

So I've quickly written them up and am sharing them with you now.  I have included the rainbow, the sunshine and both of the cloud patterns too.  I ended up only using one of the clouds for my hanger, but I thought I'd include both types in the pattern case you preferred one style more than the other!

I hope you can find ways to look for the silver linings too, despite everything that is happening in the world at the moment and maybe get some enjoyment for making this little reminder to look for the positives to hold onto.


: :   S I L V E R   L I N I N G S   H A N G E R   : :

by Sandra Paul

FREE PATTERN


Available in UK or US crochet terms

: :

UPDATE -5th April 2020

Just to let you know that there were a few errors in the original rainbow instructions.
I've updated the pattern and uploaded the corrected versions today!

S x



#CherryHeart

SUBSCRIBE:

   

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for the lovely pattern. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bianca Mitchell4 April 2020 at 15:22

    Thank-you for the pattern, such a lovely generous thing to do! I'll be digging through the cotton stash to get started on this and I think I'll make one for my neighbour as well. Thank-you again, and I wish you and yours all the best during this temporary (hopefully) new normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I needed today! Thank-you for sharing this pattern. You are so creative. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favourite rainbow I've seen so far. I love the little metaphorical story of it all too.

    Thanks for all your work on podcasts and social media - really it all helps so much seeing the amazing things you make an being invited in to your world for a bit. Everything you make is so beautiful and pretty often useful too (although beautiful is enough for me). All the clever blankets you have made recently and the window hanging are so lovely. I can't think of any other designer who is so aesthetically consistent and who makes things with such care and attention that everything is just as gorgeous as the last thing you made.

    I do think a book would be lovely - don't wait for them to approach you, if it is something you would like to do. It's a lot of work so you might have disregarded it. If no one has asked you I would only think it is because you are so modest. I think it would be nice though if you did get one out there. Not even all crochet, as all your sewing and knitting is great too. Lots of internet advice available on approaching publishers - or self publishing which these days is a really good option.

    Anyway, I love this sort of thing (the rainbow). Thanks so much for sharing and I hope your crafting is helping you get through these bewildering times.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, that's so very kind of you to say! I must admit I have always been a little daunted by the idea of a book and the amount of work involved. I certainly haven't found the right thing for me just yet on that front, but as you say, maybe I need to take the bull by the horns and do my own thing!

      Delete
  5. I do love your rainbow, Sandra, and especially the lovely clouds! Thank you for sharing the pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big Hug from Australia,
    Thanks heaps for the rainbow bundle, hugely appreciated and very generous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandra,
    Thank you for sharing your pattern with us. It looks so lovely. Maybe I'll make one too, it's so cute. I'm doing fine, still working and crocheting a lot. Hope you are doing well. Big hugs all the way from The Netherlands.

    Sweet greetings,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just staring this lovely rainbow but I can't get 13 sts from row 1 - is it me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the only one - I’m having the same issue

      Delete
    2. I ended up chaining 11 then: one, one, double, double, one, double, double, one, one which gave me 13 stitches in a nice bow shape and rest of rows worked up perfectly

      Delete
    3. Hi,
      Not you, there was a slight error in the pattern I'm afraid! It should have been '2 times' at the end and not 'twice'. Sorry about that. There were a couple of other small things, so I've updated the pdf's with the corrections now!

      Delete
  9. So adorable Sandra! I've downloaded. After spending all morning cleaning the laundry room and paying bills (late...) I deserve some hooky time on the bench in the sun.
    All good over here. I've turned a corner. Haven't slept very well for the last few nights but hoping it is temporary. I'm trying to embrace what is going on and see opportunities in all this new way of living in isolation. Slowing down, not over book my days. After trying a few different approaches my latest one seems to work well; Get up early, do what needs to be done, afternoon is for rest and play. Take care my lovely. Got to get out there and get started on my rainbow!!!
    Xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sandra and Lyndelou, I did just that, the 2 times, and now have the finished Silver Linings hanging with pride in the window!

    ReplyDelete