Crochet Star Quilt


I sat down to write this post the other day and couldn't think of a single thing to say!  So I've come back today to try again.  I wanted to show you this lovely blanket that I've finished.  As you'll know from the title, I called it the Crochet Star Quilt.  As usual, keeping my name fairly literal.  It's crochet, it's got stars on and it's inspired by quilt designs.  Yep it does what it says on the tin.

I've been meaning to try and get back to posting for such a long time.  At the beginning of the year I tried a kind of 'round up' post, one for each month was the plan, but it didn't last too long.  Now I'm wondering if just a 'ta-dah' post for finished items wouldn't be a better way to go.  I'm so aware that this blog has become nothing more than a side note to my video podcasts and vlogs, and although I've been wanting to change that for a while, I also wonder if I have anything left to say here?  I don't know if there is any point in just repeating what I say in videos elsewhere, but I do miss having this place as a record of my makes.

Well let's see I suppose.  I can but try!

: :



Onwards, to the blanket then.  The first thing to say about this blanket is that I'm so very happy with it.  My favourite make in quite some time I think.  Which given that at the starting point I wasn't sure I'd ever get to the end of it, is quite an achievement in itself.

I was originally inspired to start this blanket after being massively inspired by @tipsytessie on Instagram, she has such a beautiful account.  I also needed a blanket for my bedroom, to match my new colours and so I started playing with the idea of working up a quilt block design.

Making the two colour blocks is a slightly more fiddly prospect than a usual crochet square, and finding it slow work, this was the thing that I thought would be the main stumbling block for me getting this project off the ground.  As it turned out though, I just loved the blocks too much and had to continue.  I just figured I'd have to pace myself with this project.  I imagined it would be a year or so in the making, but I started messing about the idea in February, so in the end it was about 9 months.  

(Video tutorials for the 2-colour squares can be found using the link below by the way!)


It's one of the those that saw an improvement during the process.  The more of the two colour blocks I made, the quicker I got and I became more adept at bringing the blocks together efficiently too.  Once I had my colour palette sorted I really clicked into gear.  I lose a lot of time to colour faffing.  Although I consider it time well spent!  

I won't go into details about the yarns I used, to be honest I couldn't if I wanted to.  The pink, grey and blue shades were all hand-dyed 4ply yarns and I have an assortment of left overs, minis, swaps and I know not what in here.  The only thing I can say for certain is that the white yarn is Drops Baby Merino.  I used it for my Battenberg Blanket too.  It's a slightly thicker yarn, sport weight really, but I find it works well enough with 4ply.



I feel that I agonise more and more with my making decisions these days.  Deciding on colours, struggling over placement of blocks, deliberating on borders.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps I'm more afraid of making the 'wrong' decision these days?  Maybe I just am worse at making choices full stop, who knows?  Either way this project did spend a not insignificant amount of time on hold while I fussed over such matters.

The border was such a tricky moment that after trailing several possibilities, I ended up putting the question to you, my lovely friends, to canvas opinion.  I wanted to complete the quilt inspiration with a binding inspired border and in the end, with your help, I settled on rows of double crochet (UK), encased with a spike stitch to finish which, I was still completely unsure of until the last stitch was done. 

I've decided I love it though, best thing to do after all that work!

: :




I've created a separate pattern page for this beauty, as a pattern will indeed be forthcoming at some point.  I wasn't sure if there would be, but at your request dear friends, it is coming into being.
I've popped all the pertinent details I have so far there, yarn, hook, and such.  I've also got links to some tutorials I've made so far too.  One showing how I made the two colours squares, and one to show how I assembled the blocks.  I hope that will get you going while I finalise things for the pattern.

Crochet Star Quilt

Project details | Useful information | Tutorials

#CrochetStarQuilt

: :


S x



#CherryHeart

 SUBSCRIBE 
    

Comments

  1. Oh! This is a beautiful piece of work Sandra! I always enjoy your utterly delightful podcasts and ‘moment’ videos BUT the written word is so absorbing and thoughtfully expressive. I have always loved your blogs. Please doooo keep them up❣️👋🇦🇺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes I do know what you mean, it is lovely to enjoy the quieter and gentler pace of blogging again after all this time. It's so much more pleasurable than the hurly burly of social media. I certainly hope I can keep my hand in here, it's hard to do it all!

      S x

      Delete
  2. This is a gorgeous blanket. I am a big blog fan and much prefer them to vlogs or videos which I tend to fast forward through. I’m voting that you keep writing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks you so much, that's kind. I do hope I can manage it, it's hard to keep all the plates spinning isn't it?!

      S x

      Delete
  3. I miss your blog as I don't really follow podcasts and vlogs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I miss the old blogging days I must say. Things seemed so much simpler then!

      S x

      Delete
  4. I love how the border sets off the quilt by somehow making the blocks look like they were quilted or make it seem as if there were some wadding involved. Not sure if it looks like that "in the flesh" or if it is just the photographs. Either way - I have also greatly admired the work of @tipsytessie and love your take on a crochet quilt. I would like to make one using cotton yarn and two-color hexie stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do know what you mean, the squares do seem to puff up a little don't they? I think it's the joining that makes them do that a little.

      Oh yes the hexie stars are just gorgeous too, I agree. I want to do one of those too!

      S x

      Delete
  5. Love it when my favourite bloggers blog, especially after a long hiatus. I'm more into reading than listening or watching so to be here is perfect for me but it's what fits with you that's the important thing. Whichever way you decide to broadcast, I'll just tag along regardless!!!Beautiful blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s beautiful, well worth the work involved. Frances SW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking the other day about how much I miss blogs. I'm a big reader and always looked forward to catching up with my favourites each Sunday. It felt like such a treat! Your blanket is beautiful. It has been lovely watching it come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I miss that blogging era too! Felt like such a peaceful time compared to the franticness of social media.

      Thank you, it's been a joy to make this one!

      S x

      Delete
  8. Wonderful crocheted blanket! Please continue blogging. I do enjoy reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful Sandra well done you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this blanket and have watched your progress with it. I am so pleased you are going to publish the pattern as I am looking forward to purchasing it to start it after my painted Anemone blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh it's so lovely to hear that you've enjoyed following along, it feels like it's been quite the project bringing this one all together. Hopefully not too much longer now for the pattern. Just need to sort out the border info and then I can get something out I think!

      S x

      Delete
  11. I really love your designs. Your colour choices are also so beautiful. I hope to make one of these one day soon.

    ReplyDelete